Decision Support Tools
There is increasing need and opportunity to streamline how resource managers can access state-of-the-art research and technology developments to make informed decisions. This emerging practice is similar to watershed analysis and other multidisciplinary reporting, but adds a dynamic feature that allows managers to test and evaluate the potential environmental and cultural outcomes before actions and commitments are made.
Examples of Decision Support Tools by WPN and Partners
- Forest Restoration & Water Yield in Streams: Decision-support to determine where invasive species treatments will improve water yields under different climate change scenarios, including cost/ benefit outcomes (Hawaii Island).
- Groundwater, Development & Cultural Practices: Evaluating how and where changes in land cover impact groundwater recharge and cultural continuity. Material serves as educational tool as well as scenario-driven outcomes (Hawaii Island)
- Fire & Forest Restoration: Developing the best-case scenarios for lowering fire risk, sediment delivery to streams, and native forest restoration on Oahu.
- Forestry, Fire Risk & Ridge-to-Reef Management:Developing a scalable priority matrix to determine where forest restoration will have the highest benefit to reducing fire risk, reducing sediment delivery to streams, and protecting coral reef environments (Guam Island)
- Forest Restoration, Traditional Agriculture & Water Yields Evaluate changes in water yield withpotential expansions of traditional taro farming, stream restoration activities, and upslope forest restoration on windward Kauai Island.