Forest Carbon & REDD+
WPN has a successful history of assisting countries in the development of REDD+ (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation & Degradation). Work is focused on the technical aspects of Forest Monitoring and Measurement, Reporting & Verification (MRV). Work has spanned from the technical aspects of the REDD+ Readiness Roadmap, to capacity building associated wtih conducting forest inventory and reporting of emissions factors. Below are some highlights of recent experience:
- Served as the national MRV expert for Solomon Islands.
- Conducted large-scale forest carbon assessments & valuation assocated with mangrove conversion in Fiji, Palau & Micronesia.
- Quantified emissions factors associated with conversion of mangroves to shrimp ponds in Dominican Republic.
- Worked with a small team to develop methods for mangrove carbon assessment in the Pacific Islands and S. Asia.
- Staff has conducted numerous carbon assessments, methods development, and workshops since 1996.
Forest Carbon & Voluntary Markets
In addition to REDD+ and country-specific programs, WPN has assisted in the feasibility and design of forest carbon projects for private and public-private entities under voluntary carbon markets.
- Served in an international advisory role for assessing feasibility of carbon credits for plantations in SE Mexico.
- Conducted feasibility for a carbon credit consortium for small forestland owners in Oregon, USA.
- Provide technical leadership for carbon credit development in tropical countries (Latin America & Pacific Islands) for private investors.